I think the app isn't very good, but the tool on a PC or Mac is really good, 
intuitive, and works well.  I see the app as a web GUI on steroids. It just 
works. I think the more you play with it the more features you realize it has. 
I think a lot of my counterparts here on this list just don't like it because 
it's Apple, but I could be wrong.

Thank you,
Brett A Mansfield

> On Oct 7, 2015, at 3:38 PM, Bill Prince <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Totally true. Apple makes an AirPort tool of sorts for Windows, but it sucks 
> major bronto.
> 
> What's even worse is trying to admin an AirPort from an ipad. 
> 
> bp
> <part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>
> 
>> On 10/7/2015 11:21 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
>> My guys hate the Apple routers because they can’t be configured from a web 
>> GUI, you need the AirPort software on your computer.  At least that’s what 
>> they tell me.
>>  
>>  
>> From: Brett A Mansfield
>> Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 1:08 PM
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Consumer routers?
>>  
>> For my customers that want me to sell them or manage their solution I charge 
>> an extra $25 install fee and $5/mo. I use edgerouters as the router and an 
>> airport express in bridge mode for the wireless. I can throw on as many of 
>> the airports as needed to get the job done for an extra fee.
>>  
>> It works really well. I haven't had any customer complaint with it. They 
>> don't have to power cycle anything ever either.
>>  
>> I buy the airport express in bulk refurbished direct from Apple. If they 
>> don't have them refurbished I just buy new, but that hasn't happened yet.
>> 
>> Thank you,
>> Brett A Mansfield
>> 
>> On Oct 7, 2015, at 11:49 AM, Sterling Jacobson <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>>> This is my biggest gripe right now.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> The more internet you provide to them, the worse this problem is.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> I think my contractors are selling mid-range $100 linksys routers.
>>> 
>>> I’m not sure that’s the best thing.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> I too need to find a handful of routers that really get the job done right.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> I’ve noticed the Apple routers tend to be pretty good, especially if they 
>>> have Apple Ecosystem/devices.
>>> 
>>> And apple extenders seem to work better with their apple environment and 
>>> are way easy for the customer to set up.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> Other than Apple, I usually recommend a router with external antennas.
>>> 
>>> And TRY to get our people to NOT install the routers in the basement under 
>>> all the metal ducting, lol!
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> Ideally they are installed on the main floor in a somewhat central location.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> What I am considering is selling a NON-wireless router for our end point 
>>> inside the house near the clustered wiring.
>>> 
>>> Then programming any router they get in BRIDGE mode.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> I still don’t like doing that because the router features are something 
>>> most of these people want anyways.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> But with my speeds I would almost just rather make sure they have a wired 
>>> Gigabit Ethernet router that I can manage and I know is capable, then let 
>>> them buy however many wireless routers they need to fill in gaps all over 
>>> their house (or, preferably, ONE powerful wireless router).
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> I just don’t want to be stuck changing port forwarding crap etc.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> What I really wish was that a separate company would do this for a one 
>>> time, or monthly charge and handle all their router woes.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Glen Waldrop
>>> Sent: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 11:39 AM
>>> To: [email protected]
>>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Consumer routers?
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> Thanks for the input guys.
>>> 
>>> I was mostly looking at what to recommend. I'd rather help on occasion, but 
>>> my responsibility ends at the CAT5 coming out of the POE.
>>> 
>>> I've been bouncing around the idea of a $5 a month managed RB951 2HnD or 
>>> something.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>> 
>>> From: Justin Wilson - MTIN
>>> 
>>> To: [email protected]
>>> 
>>> Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 11:51 AM
>>> 
>>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Consumer routers?
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> My take on this is you have to look at what supporting a customer router 
>>> costs you in support and service calls.  We have several clients who are 
>>> doing one of a couple things.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> Some are selling a managed router service for $X a month.  This is 
>>> typically a Mikrotik the ISP has access to.  The ISP sets up the wireless, 
>>> manages the router, and other such functions.   This allows for a reference 
>>> point on the customer side for testing, etc. 
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> The other way to approach this is if you don’t want mess with router 
>>> configuration some folks are including a “modem” that is essentially a hAP 
>>> or 750.  This is just in bridge mode or is the PPPOE client.  The customer 
>>> then is free to plug in their own router if they so desire, but you still 
>>> have a reference point from the customer side.  If you need a customer to 
>>> bypass their router you simply ask them to plug into port5 or whatever on 
>>> your “modem”. That port can be setup to do DHCP or whatever.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> You have to look at how much support consumer routers is costing you.  Many 
>>> folks look at the cost of the routers and the cost to install them or 
>>> replace them.  But if it cuts your support calls by 30% that might mean the 
>>> difference between hiring another person, or other “soft” costs.
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> Justin Wilson
>>> 
>>> [email protected]
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> ---
>>> http://www.mtin.net Owner/CEO
>>> 
>>> xISP Solutions- Consulting – Data Centers - Bandwidth
>>> 
>>> http://www.midwest-ix.com  COO/Chairman
>>> 
>>> Internet Exchange - Peering - Distributed Fabric
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> On Oct 7, 2015, at 11:58 AM, Glen Waldrop <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>>  
>>> 
>>> Are there any consumer routers that don't suck these days?
>>> 
>>> I used to recommend Linksys/Cisco, but since the Belkin buyout quality 
>>> seems to be going down. They jink with teh firewall and I can't block 
>>> specific outgoing traffic, can't remote admin anymore, etc...
>>> 
> 

Reply via email to