PPTP has lower encryption levels then most and uses basic user/pass to encrypt
and not large keys… however calling it insecure is throwing much more mud on
the face of PPTP then it deserves.  It is not even remotely close to no
encryption which isn’t insecure because encryption no more equal to security
then having a bank account is equal to being rich… the user can receive a key
logger virus through an encrypted tunnel just as easily as a non-encrypted
tunnel and even an unencrypted tunnel cannot be interfered with if you cannot
access the stream of  data in-between the endpoints.

Ultimately I expect that if a someone is going to breech a system then they
will probably do it regardless of the encryption level of a tunnel.  So… if you
want to be able to VPN into a router simply then I see no harm in PPTP unless
you expect a hacker setting in the middle of your tunnel just waiting to bruit
force decrypt the captured packets… If you are interconnecting two bank
branches then first off the applications should be responsible for the data
security but it is still a good idea to use something with the highest level of
security.

Sometimes PPTP is still a good option, sometimes better encryption is a good
idea.  However, tunnel encryption is never an excuse to allow data access to
unauthorized users so the applications accessibility is what should really be
our concern.

Sorry, I’m on my think sanely about security rant… done now.

Sincerely,
Joshaven Potter
Google Hangouts: j...@g2wireless.co
Cell & SMS: 1-517-607-9370