From: "Rory Conaway" <r...@triadwireless.net>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:16:43 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Omni Smart Antenna

The first guys to try this was Vivato with their flat panel which moved the
connection to one of 13 radios internally depending on connection quality. The
problem was no GPS and none of the radios were synched, hence the problem with
the panel. This is the way Xirrus does it today also.

The second guys were SkyPilot and they used an antenna switching unit that
turned on/off 1 of 8 sectors with GPS handling the timing. They actually had a
pretty good idea because it allowed them to use PTP rules in 5.8GHz. This
actually worked pretty well, we had radios at 10+ miles which was pretty good
for a pair of 45 degree sector antenna. It’s also where I got the idea that
OFDM in many cases of NLOS, works better with sectors than more directional
antennas.

The Mimosa A5-360 is a 4x4 connection with each antenna on a different stream.
The higher gain antennas along with the circular polarity means better range
and better ability to deal with polarity angular changes in high multi-path
environments. It doesn’t help with the s/n ratio other than higher gain
antennas but that same gain is applied in all directions so the noise gain
comes with that.

The beam-steering that everybody uses today is okay but the antennas are
low-gain, but they help the f/b ratio so the end result some much range
improvement but better s/n ratio. This is difficult to do and there is a speed
hit to the AP to do this since only one antenna can be transmitting at a time
versus something like Xirrus where multiple radios can transmit whenever.
Because you can’t control the clients transmitting like you can with a synched
system, there are going to be tradeoffs between a Ruckus type radio and a
Xirrus type radio.

Rory