The ability to do rough estimates in your head seems like a lost art from the 
slide rule days.  For rough estimate purposes, 22/7 is fine.  Just like 1.4 is 
close enough to the square root of 2, if you’re estimating the distance as the 
crow flies to a customer 1 mile north and 1 mile west.  With a calculator or 
computer, it is too easy to make monumental mistakes, which you can catch if 
you can do a rough estimate.  Oh, right, I was supposed to put in the frequency 
in MHz, not GHz.

One of the many useful things they apparently don’t teach in high school.  
Along with (apparently) civics and geography and how the Internet works.

I had a college professor who would not give partial credit for “stupid 
answers”.  So when calculating the range of a gun, if the correct answer is 
1,389 feet, he might give you some points for 139 feet or 13,890 feet.  But if 
you came up with 1,389,000 or 0.1389 feet and didn’t realize that was probably 
wrong and go back and check your math, no partial credit for you, it was a 
stupid answer.

I also remember some test in high school, I think maybe the SAT, where there 
were a bunch of trig questions, and I hadn’t taken any trig classes.  But they 
were multiple choice, and I was able to draw diagrams and make a rough estimate 
that in most cases let me pick the right answer from the list of choices.


From: Jaime Solorza 
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2016 12:55 PM
To: Animal Farm 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT - Pi Day

Good old Spock making a computer fail by having it computer Pi to the last 
digit 
“the value of pi is a transcendental figure without resolution.”


Jaime Solorza 
Wireless Systems Architect
915-861-1390

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Jaime Solorza <[email protected]> 
wrote:

  Babylonians,Egyptians and Greeks ...25/8 and 22/7   


  Jaime Solorza 
  Wireless Systems Architect
  915-861-1390

  On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 11:34 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:

    When I was a kid, my dad taught me PI was 22/7 as a fact.  I later 
discovered not exactly... then I memorized a bunch of digits of it to “impress” 
girls.  Not sure how impressive it ever was...

    From: Jaime Solorza 
    Sent: Monday, March 14, 2016 11:17 AM
    To: Animal Farm 
    Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT - Pi Day

    Yep pizza places are running specials.  So is it still the Egyptians who 
discovered Pi or Ananuki or Indian mathematicians? 

    On Mar 14, 2016 11:09 AM, "Ken Hohhof" <[email protected]> wrote:

      I didn't realize today was Pi Day 3/14/16 until I read this article:

      
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/western-digital-offers-growing-raspberry-pi-community-new-314gb-drive-300235202.html


Reply via email to