Yeah, no...that explanation makes no sense to me.  ENBs made for the mobile
market exclusively employ local offload and enforce NAT?  Pretty sure not.  If
anything, mobile providers are GTP-U tunneling customer traffic to a central
PGW where the NAT happens (if it happens).

The best "Occam's razor" answer I can manage to come up with is that since
fixed wireless providers are *not* likely to have their own 3GPP cores, and
since they've stated that they are trying to make deployment for providers as
easy as possible, and since the software is still being baked, they are
probably trying to cover the widest Venn-diagram section of use-cases possible
with the amount of time and effort they currently have available to spend (most
bang for their engineering buck).  Let's face it: a good chunk of fixed
regional operators do not have enough v4 addresses to cover all of their
end-users, and they already NAT a vast majority of them.  So Baicells probably
thought, for us to start getting results back from the trial as quickly as
possible, we need to remove as much friction as possible from the chore of
getting these ENBs in the air.  So rather than requiring providers to spend a
bunch of time configuring a gateway and figuring out how to set up an IP pool
for an address block that they define, they would just have the trial
participants hand the ENB a single IP and have it locally NAT user traffic,
which is the simplest configuration possible that covers the widest likely set
of use-cases.

That's not to say that they won't make it more flexible in the future.  At
least, I certainly *hope* not.

-- Nathan