Was the surge suppressor already there when the problem started? Or did you add the surge suppressor in response to the problem?

IMO, the SS with it's own ground could be a liability as there's the possibility of a difference in ground potential between that rod and the equipment at the other end of the cable. If the SS was there from the beginning, I'd actually try taking it out or bypassing it. If you do drive a rod for the SS, you're supposed to bond that rod to the house electric ground.

------ Original Message ------
From: "That One Guy /sarcasm" <thatoneguyst...@gmail.com>
To: "af@afmug.com" <af@afmug.com>
Sent: 9/16/2016 4:20:40 PM
Subject: [AFMUG] odd 320 issue, resolved by rain

we have a customer we have battled to keep fuctioning. Theyre on 320 with an air router, DHCP the router occasionally quits working, we replaced routers twice, and the whole run of cable, ss, radio, power supply. we see the MAC on the site router bridge, we see the dhcp discover and offer in the BMU, but no ACK

finally we get onsite this morning, but it started to rain about 930, at ten the router came up per the graphs

got on site and logged into the router, eth0 was at 10 full, looking at the logs it had been flapping down/10full over and over

cycling it brought it back up at 100 full, and no issues.

With the issue resurfacing after replacing the entirety of the run Im suspecting an issue with the houses electric, bad primary ground in particular. when it rained, the dirt got more conductive

Our interior run does cross over a copper water pipe, im wondering if they dont have something grounded to that pipe in the house and when the conductivity of the primary ground is poor, that pipe becomes energized as a shunt.

we did add an isolated ground rod to the SS, im hoping what i will see next time the issue surfaces is a blown port on the router

We told them we wont come back out until an electrician looks over the homes electrical, they asked what to tell the electrician. Is there proper terminology that would need to be relayed to the electrician? I figure they need to verify the overal system ground, the frequency, and ambient voltage, but I dont know, Im not an electrician

--
If you only see yourself as part of the team but you don't see your team as part of yourself you have already failed as part of the team.