Congress makes and changes law.  Supreme Court makes a few important decisions.
 Regulators are who really run the country.

Does it really matter who the president is?
What did Obama do?  Encouraged the ACA.  Dropped the ball in Syria.  But  how
did he affect me, my degree of wealth, my amount of spare time?

Ditto Bush.  They affect foreign policy.  They have the ability to really mess
up other people’s lives in other countries, but do they really have much effect
on me?

Granted, altering  the make up of the Supreme Court changes things like can I
choose to marry a dude or do I have to sell wedding cakes to gays.  But that
really does not touch me.  My granddaughter having to cope with dudes in the
bathroom at school hits a bit closer to home, but I trust congress will
eventually settle on something a bit more common sense.

I guess I am trying to convince myself that a president really doesn’t do much
here at home.  Congress does.  The court does.  Bureaucracies do.

Now, if the president could get a whole truckload of cheese delivered to the
Whitehouse and give it out to anyone that drops in for a visit, then we are
talking about a real impact...