I seem to have a disconnect between the phone-based WhatsApp and the desktop version. Phone WhatsApp works, but the desktop says it can't find my phone. Curiously, this is on the west coast.

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>

On 10/21/2016 11:37 AM, Travis Johnson wrote:
This is still going right now... big and small websites and ISP's are unreachable and unresponsive. :(

Travis

On 10/21/2016 12:19 PM, Ken Hohhof wrote:

Interesting, according to that, the ISP DNS servers are recruited as part of the attack on the victim’s authoritative DNS servers, by sending queries from within the ISP’s network.

No spoofing, no amplification, no misconfigured DNS servers required, yet the ISP’s DNS servers are used to send the attack traffic. All that is needed is a compromised IoT to send the query.

*From:*Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] *On Behalf Of *Josh Baird
*Sent:* Friday, October 21, 2016 12:42 PM
*To:* af@afmug.com
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Another large DDoS, Stop Being a Dick

Right - crap IoT devices on the Mirai botnet were responsible for shoving 620+Gbps of traffic at Akamai to take down Krebs (and over 1Tbps to take down OVH). No spoofing involved.

Interesting article on the techniques used by Mirai:

https://f5.com/about-us/news/articles/mirai-the-iot-bot-that-took-down-krebs-and-launched-a-tbps-ddos-attack-on-ovh-21937