This is how DSL was originally envisioned to work, that's the main reason they
used PPPoE, so you could authenticate and establish a session to whatever ISP
you wanted.  GTE even had 2 billing methods, the transport could be billed by
GTE on the customer's phone bill with the ISP billing for bandwidth, or the ISP
could bill the customer for the total service and pay GTE for transport on a
wholesale basis.  When Verizon bought GTE, they phased out the first method.
At the beginning, I don't think GTE even planned to have their own in-house ISP
competing with the other providers.

This all came from the dialup model, where customers could choose any ISP and
have their modem call over the PSTN to the local access number for that ISP.

But the LECs especially the Baby Bells got it in their head that the grass was
greener on the other side, that bandwidth and content providers were making all
the money, and they vowed never again to be the "dumb pipe".  I think this
explains a lot of LEC behavior to this day, like AT&T buying Time-Warner.

The funny thing is that DSL was originally developed for "Video On Demand"
service to compete with the cable companies, which the telcos feared would
start offering voice service.  The specs were for a 1.5M downstream channel to
carry one MPEG2 DVD-quality video, plus a 16k bidirectional control channel.
Later that was expanded to 6 Mbps to support up to 4 simultaneous videos, and
later still the upstream channel was expanded to 640k because some people
started thinking about a data network.  At first the LECs were slow to roll out
the service despite successful technical and marketing trials, because they
became convinced the cablecos were undercapitalized and were not as big a
competitive threat as had been imagined.  By the time DSL was actually
deployed, the focus had switched to Internet service, and the PPPoE protocol
was developed and companies like Redback Networks were formed to support a
model with multiple ISPs over the same physical network.