When does pricing get so high and service get so terrible that government
has to step in to provide a service that is not integral to any life, limb,
or pursuit of happiness?
Don't get me wrong, if the citizens of whatever jurisdiction want to
succumb to the wiles of some huckster (yea kids, I just used that grandpa
word) and opt to pay for another boondoggle then get after it. I think from
the description of Utopia I have read that is a fair description even if
you were not personally involved with it. But really, had those cities,
provided excellent streets without potholes? Reduced crime to a level where
every citizen felt safe no matter of time or place? Provided the best and
purest drinking water? EMS coverage to the point that a stroke rarely ended
in debilitating damage? Fires put out so fast people are amazed?

Probably not but they decide, while struggling to perform services that are
the core of their mission to go ahead and try some other even more complex
challenge.

I rail against these types of projects not because they typically fail,
which they do, but because they serve as a distraction from the true
mission of local governments. The task they often face are daunting and
these serve as distractions like the gladiator games while Rome crumbles.
Having seen it from the inside I know how easy it is for a group of elected
officials to love the bright shiny package yet unopened than to fix last
years Christmas present that is broken and thrown behind the toy chest. And
because they are dealing with other peoples money the risk seems so small.

That is the other issue, most, not all, but most of the people making these
decisions are ill equipped by both education and experience to make those
decisions. But as long as I don't have to bail them out with my tax dollars
go for it. But there in lies the rub, often I do, and so do you because
they ask for some federal grant or assistance when the get in over their
head.

Stick to the basics. Water, fire, police, streets. Let the free market
system take care of everything else. OK...yeah right, the internet is a
utility just like the rest. Oh pleeeaaase. People have likely died because
of it but I doubt few lives have been saved due to it. Perfect your core
mission under budget. Reduce taxes on citizens, Prove you can do a great
job doing SOMETHING...ANYTHING...then move on to something new and shiny
that you don't comprehend that sounds really nifty.