Most inter and intra rack environments don't care about electrical isolation. 

I haven't installed hundreds in one spot, so I can't comment on that. However, 
where we have a few, they don't seem significantly different than fiber to 
manage. 




----- 
Mike Hammett 
Intelligent Computing Solutions 

Midwest Internet Exchange 

The Brothers WISP 




----- Original Message -----

From: "Josh Reynolds" <[email protected]> 
To: [email protected] 
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 7:48:33 PM 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Direct attach sfp cables? 


Yes they are cheap, but they have less of a bend radius than modern fiber, they 
don't provide electrical isolation, and they are an absolute bitch when it 
comes to cable management. 


I thought it would be a great idea to put a couple hundred DAC'd ports in a 
rack. Terrible idea. Never again. 


DACs you say? *Spits on ground* 


On Jan 15, 2017 7:46 PM, "Seth Mattinen" < [email protected] > wrote: 


On 1/15/17 5:02 PM, Jason McKemie wrote: 

<blockquote>
What's the purpose? Seems like it would pretty much always be better to 
just use fiber... 




Super cost effective way to connect a rack full of servers to a TOR 10G switch. 

~Seth 

</blockquote>

Reply via email to