+1

On Jan 16, 2017 1:59 PM, "Eric Kuhnke" <[email protected]> wrote:

> In an ISP environment I do not find it worthwhile to stock various lengths
> of 50/125 OM3/OM4 grade multimode and spare multimode SFPs, when 1Gbps and
> 10Gbps 1310nm/LX singlemode SFPs and SFP+ are so cheap.
>
> Keep one stock of common singlemode simplex and duplex patch cables in
> various length increments.
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:00 AM, Sterling Jacobson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> I use DAC 10Gbps cables for connecting rack mount switches together.
>> They are usually cheap, but still not quite as cheap as MMF lasers and
>> fiber.
>> I have tons of MMF SFP+ modules laying around unused.
>>
>> They are a bit thicker and have less bend than a MMF fiber cable too, so
>> I tend to only use a few of them where I don't run them in raceway.
>> They clog up limited raceway space as opposed to fiber.
>> So if I'm running switch connections through limited space I still use
>> MMF.
>>
>> They are a bit easier to connect, attach/detach since you just pull the
>> tab instead of remove the fiber and then the module.
>>
>> I would never use it on a tower.
>> I would never use it over a few feet long.
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Seth Mattinen
>> Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2017 6:46 PM
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Direct attach sfp cables?
>>
>> On 1/15/17 5:02 PM, Jason McKemie wrote:
>> > What's the purpose? Seems like it would pretty much always be better
>> > to just use fiber...
>>
>>
>> Super cost effective way to connect a rack full of servers to a TOR 10G
>> switch.
>>
>> ~Seth
>>
>
>

Reply via email to