The grounding bus bars are isolated but I doubt the gear at the top is, the
antennas and RRUs are bracketed to the tower…

From: Af <af-boun...@afmug.com<mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com>> on behalf of Paul
McCall <pa...@pdmnet.net<mailto:pa...@pdmnet.net>>
Date: Monday, July 24, 2017 at 2:29 PM
To: "af@afmug.com<mailto:af@afmug.com>" <af@afmug.com<mailto:af@afmug.com>>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Tower Top Grounding discussion

Well, somehow this cellular guys survive these direct tower hits.  Tower # 1
from the weekend is a 500’ tower that we are at 410 feet on.  Two cellular
providers right below us and a FM station and Lojack above us, and we were the
only ones hit.  Cellular guys have isolated ground bars at the top that are
connected to the outside shield on their large coax cables, with a “wrap kit”.
At the bottom of the tower, they have another isolated ground bar and attached
the same kits to get the ground to the ground bar, then have their own grounds.
 MOST are doing it that way.  I will send pictures of 2 different carriers on
the same tower doing it differently.

Tower #2, is a 130ft water tower with Verizon.  They are at the top of the
tower, have the same exact type setup.

This picture is from a 3rd tower (bottom) that I took pictures … same thing.

We do have fiber and 48vdc to the top and 48vd protectors (Polyphaser) at the
top at both these towers.  Everything blew, including the polyphaser that is
grounded to the tower itself (on both towers).  Obviously, that isn’t working :)