From: "Eric Kuhnke" <eric.kuh...@gmail.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Thursday, October 5, 2017 7:25:43 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] New WISP in NC needs backhaul solution!

several places, if you know the owners/operators of major content source ISPs
(dedicated hosting/VPS/virtual server/colocation/rack & cage colo) that have
extremely heavy outbound:inbound traffic ratios, like 9:1 ratio or more.

adding a new customer to the same ASN, consisting of a downstream WISP that
consists of mostly singlehomed eyeballs, with a theoretical 5 or 6 Gbps evening
peak traffic in a sinewave pattern, only has the positive effect of very
slightly evening out the upstream hosting company's traffic ratios with its
peers and transit sources. It's almost "free" bandwidth.

Some hosting companies have even sought out such downstream ISPs with the goal
of bringing their inbound:outbound ratios into better parity for peering with
larger regional/national ISPs.