In their defense (or maybe not), check the charges to see if there is a
small-dollar amount charged just prior to the big charge. What we found out
years ago is that credit card scammers will just randomly make up card
numbers and "try it" with tiny charge amounts ($3 to $5). if it goes
through, then they've found an active card number, and they will then hit
it with something substantial (like $2000 or $3000 or more). So sometimes
it's not you or your vendor, it's just a scammer getting lucky.

-bp

--
bp
part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com