>From my understanding so far, while the spirit of what you're saying is
true, it is more complicated than that.

If you're flying as a hobbyist within 5 miles of any airport, helipad, etc.
(towered or not)  you need a FAA waiver.  In addition, you're limited to
400ft, can't fly over certain areas, etc.   One really should read up on
and follow the rules, as they're not just there to irritate drone users.

If you have a commercial license then where you can fly is based on the
actual airspace classification instead of the five mile limit.  Much of the
knowledge needed for the test revolves around understanding how to know
where it is safe and legal to fly based on charts and observation.