I just realized that last message was more a rambling trip through
nostalgia versus anything useful for the OP or others looking at this
software.

GIS software in general is probably very well suited to fiber mapping and
most of it very database driven.  Oil&Gas, Forestry, Mining all make use of
this sort of software big time.  There probably exist "purpose" built tools
as others have mentioned on here, but a more "general" piece of GIS
software like this has the benefit of being able to handle whatever you
want to throw at it, at the expense of making it a bit more complicated to
get setup.

Long term though, you'll have something that can scale.  If down the road,
for whatever reason, you need to work with another company or government,
being able to be "here, this is what we have" in a shapefile (or whatever
format) they'll really appreciate it.  Likewise, you might get data from
another entity and be able to easily merge it in with your own.

Anyway, my two cents.

Cheers,

-Steve D