Purpose built fiber mapping tools with a SQL database backend definitely do
exist - but you're looking at license costs that are prohibitive for all
but the biggest ISPs. The sort of money for which you could hire a full
time splicer and equip a splicing trailer + its operating costs...

Autodesk's municipal GIS product, which is the main competitor to
ArcGIS/ESRI, I believe has several plugins and third party vendors which
offer solutions for fiber mapping, and more specifically underground
utilities.