African Cinema Conference presents...
------------------------------
AUGUST SCREENING
------------------------------

BFM Film Club proudly presents Half Past Autumn: The Life and Works of
Gordon Parks. The screening will be held on Sunday 3rd August at the ICA
starting at 4.15 and will be followed by a topical discussion.

Half Past Autumn: The Life and Works of Gordon Parks
Dir: Craig Rice III
USA/ 200/ 90 min

An intimate look at the life and outstanding career of Gordon Parks,
director of seminal 70's blaxploitation classic Shaft. A true Renaissance
man who has excelled as a photographer, novelist, journalist, poet,
musician and filmmaker.

------------------------------
BIOGRAPHY
------------------------------

(1912 - )

Gordon Parks is a creative genius, an award-winning photographer, writer,
and film maker. All told, Parks published 12 books, including three
autobiographies. He is a composer of orchestral music and film scores,
plus he wrote a ballet, Martin, about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. In his
many endeavours Parks further earned a reputation as a renaissance man. He
was the first African American photographer to work at Life and Vogue
magazines, and the first African American to work for the Office of War
Information and the Farm Security Administration. Additionally, Parks was
the first African American to write, direct, and produce a film for a
major motion picture company. His film The Learning Tree was among the 25
films placed on the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress in
1989. Parks in his 1990 memoir, Voices in the Mirror, admitted that, "I've
liked being a stranger to failure, since I was a young man and I still
feel that way. I'm still occupied with survival; still very single-minded
about keeping my life moving — but not for fame or fortune."
"Those people who want to use a camera should have something in mind,
there's something they want to show, something they want to say...," Parks
explains. "I picked up a camera because it was my choice of weapons
against what I hated most about the universe racism, intolerance, poverty.
I could have just as easily picked up a knife or a gun, like many of my
childhood friends did... most of whom were murdered or put in prison...
but I chose not to go that way. I felt that I could somehow subdue these
evils by doing something beautiful that people recognize me by, and thus
make a whole different life for myself, which has proved to be so."

------------------------------
TICKET INFO
Tickets cost £6.50/ £5.50 (cons) and  £4.50 for ICA and BFM Film Club
members. To book tickets in advance call the ICA Box Office on 020 7930
3647. Queries can be made to the BFM Film Club on 020 8531 9111. For
further information about the ICA please visit their website at
www.ica.org.uk.

---
You are currently subscribed to african-cinema-conference as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]