African Cinema Conference presents...
WORKSHOP ONE: STORYTELLING: FORMS AND FORMATS

> How have recent technological changes affected the way people make

documentaries?With the advent of smaller, versatile cameras it is now

cheaper to shoot and easier to acquire more material and gain intimate

access previously unattainable. But does this mean we are making better

films? How can the filmmaker use digital technology to improve their

storytelling skills?

> Speaker: Peter Wintonick (Canadian documentary producer / director

including Manufacturing Consent and Seeing is Believing)

> Johannesburg: 9 am - 12.30 pm, Thursday 31 July 2003

> National Electronic Media Institute of SA (NEMISA), 21 Girton Road

Parktown

> WORKSHOP TWO: STORYTELLING: EXPLORING IDENTITY

> Central to the creation of a South African film industry is an

understanding of local 'identity'. Documentary films are a means to explore

what it is to be South African, a more immediate starting point for

developing the skills of our storytellers. It is important that we create

storytelling styles that are at once unique and that refer to South African

storytelling traditions and aesthetics, and are still accessible to

international audiences.

> Speakers: Archie Baron (Filmmaker, Takeaway Media, and director of

Motherland, UK) Mark Anderson (subject of the film Motherland, UK) Dumisani

Phakati (Filmmaker, SA)  Dr. Rae Vally (Anthropology Dept. WITS, SA) &

Kethiwe Ngcobo (Filmmaker, Fuze Box Productions, SA)

> Johannesburg: 2 pm - 5.30 pm, Thursday 31 July 2003 NEMISA, Parktown

> THE SAM POLLARD EDITING MASTER CLASS

> Sam Pollard has been a feature film and video editor, a documentary

producer and director for almost thirty years. He edited a number of Spike

Lee's films: Mo' Better Blues, Jungle Fever, Girl 6, Clockers and Bamboozled

and is currently a Professor in Film Studies at New York University Tisch

School of the Arts. He co-produced Four Little Girls, a feature-length

documentary about the 1965 Birmingham church bombings, which was nominated

for an Academy Award.

> Sam Pollard is here courtesy of the Maurits Binger Institute, Sundance

Institute, SABC1 and the National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF).

> Johannesburg ONLY: 9 am - 1.30 pm Saturday 2 August 2003, Ground Floor

Auditorium, Radio Park SABC

> REGISTRATION

> To register for one or more of the workshops you will be required to

submit a completed registration form with proof of payment as soon as

possible. Limited places are available and we will operate on strict first

come, first serve basis.

> Payment can be made by a direct deposit into the Encounters bank account

(details below).

> Your registration form can then be faxed or emailed to Encounters.

> You will receive acknowledgment of your registration and confirmation of

the workshop details from the Encounters office. Without confirmation your

registration is not complete.

> The R50 workshop fee includes VAT, handouts, parking and refreshments.

> Deposits can be made to:

> Encounters Festival & Distribution CC

> Nedbank Gardens Branch

> Branch Code: 101009

> Account No.: 101 008 3198

> PLEASE USE INITIAL & SURNAME AS DEPOSIT REFERENCE

> For more information and registration forms:

> Molly Slingsby

> Encounters South African International Documentary Festival

> Tel: 021 426 0405

> Fax: 021 426 0577

> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> www.encounters.co.za

---
You are currently subscribed to african-cinema-conference as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]