African Cinema Conference presents...
hi

here's [a] review of Amandla! the documentary film. let me know what

you think.

There is no doubt Amandla is uptlifting - it shows where South

Africans come from, not only as a nation but as a people.it shows the

amazing spirit of a nation that was not just going to lay down and

die and should definitely be used in history lessons in the very near

future.However, i feel that it failed to mention other organisations

that were part of the struggle (eg:PAC and the Communist Party),

which makes it look a bit like ANC propaganda. Another flaw is that

it took too much time with two guys who went to exile for a short

period after Mandela was released-there's quite a few interesting

people who really felt what exile means who could've been

interviewed. The film also kept switching between the periods/phases

of the struggle that it got a bit confusing. I know it took yrs to

get finance but i feel that Lee should've done recap i/views with all

the i/viewees, now (just before the release). For instnce, I'm sure

Vusi Mahlasela would have s/thing more than interesting to say. Even

Mandela himself would have made a big impact.All in all, i salute Lee

Hirsch and all the people who took part in this for, even though it

is not a master piece, it is a piece, a part of who we, as South

Africans are. Amandla! Ma ibuye iAfrika! - Asania Aphane; Proudly

South African

---
You are currently subscribed to african-cinema-conference as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]