African Cinema Conference presents...

John, About AMANDLA!: We showed it at Mill Valley Film Festival last year.
The US distributor is Artisan Entertainment, +310.449.9200,
www.artisanent.com. Obviously someone else will have the rights where you
are, but maybe Artisan can help you track it down? It's had theatrical
release here, but I'm not sure if it's made it to video release here yet (if
not, it's imminent I'd imagine.)

Zoe

Zoe Elton
Director of Programming

26th MILL VALLEY FILM FESTIVAL
***October 2--12, 2003***
t 415 383 5256 ext 119
f 415 383 8606
www.mvff.com

On 7/31/03 2:09 AM, "John Badenhorst" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> African Cinema Conference presents...
> I'd love to see this film - where is it available?
> Interesting comment about no PAC/Communist Party.
> I'd be interested to see if there are are White faces
> mentioned in the Struggle - Helen Suzman, for one,
> Helen Joseph,Beyers Naude, Joe Slovo and his wives.
> History gets airbrushed so quickly!
> JOHNBAD
>
> --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: > African Cinema
> Conference presents...
>> hi
>>
>> here's [a] review of Amandla! the documentary film.
>> let me know what
>>
>> you think.
>>

>> There is no doubt Amandla is uptlifting - it shows
>> where South
>>
>> Africans come from, not only as a nation but as a
>> people.it shows the
>>
>> amazing spirit of a nation that was not just going
>> to lay down and
>>
>> die and should definitely be used in history lessons
>> in the very near
>>
>> future.However, i feel that it failed to mention
>> other organisations
>>
>> that were part of the struggle (eg:PAC and the
>> Communist Party),
>>
>> which makes it look a bit like ANC propaganda.
>> Another flaw is that
>>
>> it took too much time with two guys who went to
>> exile for a short
>>
>> period after Mandela was released-there's quite a
>> few interesting
>>
>> people who really felt what exile means who could've
>> been
>>
>> interviewed. The film also kept switching between
>> the periods/phases
>>
>> of the struggle that it got a bit confusing. I know
>> it took yrs to
>>
>> get finance but i feel that Lee should've done recap
>> i/views with all
>>
>> the i/viewees, now (just before the release). For
>> instnce, I'm sure
>>
>> Vusi Mahlasela would have s/thing more than
>> interesting to say. Even
>>
>> Mandela himself would have made a big impact.All in
>> all, i salute Lee
>>
>> Hirsch and all the people who took part in this for,
>> even though it
>>
>> is not a master piece, it is a piece, a part of who
>> we, as South
>>
>> Africans are. Amandla! Ma ibuye iAfrika! - Asania
>> Aphane; Proudly
>>
>> South African
>>

>> ---
>> You are currently subscribed to
>> african-cinema-conference as:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> To unsubscribe, forward this message to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Zoe Elton
Director of Programming

26th MILL VALLEY FILM FESTIVAL
***October 2--12, 2003***
t 415 383 5256 ext 119
f 415 383 8606
www.mvff.com

---
You are currently subscribed to african-cinema-conference as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [...]
To activate the "digest" option go to:

<http://purcell.xc.org/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=african-cinema-conference>
and enter your screen name and password. Then you can look at your options
and make the changes to your membership profile. Please let me know if you have any
difficulties.