>From what I have learned about the state of patents, software is having
difficulties due to the "Alice" decision which doesn't recognize  abstract
ideas but what counts as such is vague...
even supposing you overcome that barrier the software can readily be
challenged later anyway post grant  and the patent rendered impotent.
Suppose you have a strong patent. How would you realistically in this age
know who violated it? Then you need a massive amount of money to recover
damages if you make it that far.

I'm compelled to think that a trade secret is the only viable alternative
if you want to cash in. And keep it behind firewalls. But somebody could
steal that and file a patent from a large organization. With money. Or go
open source and the hell with it. I just don't know.