>From the Mentifex Autobiography (link at bottom):

"In the mail that year I received a subscription copy of an issue of
Scientific American devoted totally to the human brain. One of the authors,
Dr. David Hubel at Harvard, had written both the foreword and one of the
major articles, so I figured that this scientist named Hubel was the most
worthy to receive a copy of my paper, and I mailed it to him at Harvard
University. I also mailed a copy of it to my scientific hero in
Switzerland, the Nobelist Sir John Carew Eccles. Months later, Dr. Hubel at
Harvard wrote back to me that "neural modeling" was not his specialty, and
so I should send the paper to either David Marr or Tomaso Poggio. I looked
both of them up in the university library, and it seemed that David Marr
had done the more important work in the field of vision, so I mailed the
paper to Marr, who eventually wrote back -- from his deathbed -- that I
should send the paper to a certain AI researcher at the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology and not expect an answer but still send the paper.
I did not bother to send the paper, and anyway that researcher was
eventually implicated in a major scandal. On the other hand, one day about
eight months after the mailing of the paper to Switzerland, I was
absolutely shocked to receive an airmail letter from the Nobelist in
neuroscience Sir John Carew Eccles. It was so amazing to me to have that
letter in my hand, that at first I could not open it. I just sat in an
armchair and stared at the letter from Eccles for ten or twenty or thirty
minutes, while my mind was racing with a brainstorm of thoughts of what it
would mean to now be in touch with arguably the world's foremost authority
on the human brain. When I finally did open the letter, I was flattered to
read that Sir Eccles thought that I was making a serious contribution. He
suggested that I send the paper to a certain researcher in New York, but I
never did."

"A few years later, Dr. David Hubel shared a Nobel prize for his work
explaining the human visual system. Since I had now heard from two
Nobelists in neuroscience who took me seriously, I became impervious to the
slings and arrows of Mentifex-bashers who hounded and vilified me on the
Internet. The bashing took very strange and unusual forms, though. I
gradually discovered that in every AI-related newsgroup (discussion forum)
on Usenet, there was always at least one individual who considered himself
something like "the king of the hill," or the resident authority on the
subject matter. These lords of the flies did not like me coming in and
making my ESC (Extraordinary Scientific Claim) that I was creating True AI
or Strong AI or Artificial General Intelligence or whatever the
nomenclature was. Since I believed in my theory of mind, I also believed
very strongly in the AI software that I was trying to write. But the more I
tried to communicate my results, the more I was taken for some kind of
nutcase who was not only wrong but was absolutely convinced that he was
right. One netgod of Usenet wrote the very first Mentifex FAQ or
"Frequently Asked Questions" about Mentifex. Other Netizens started doing
things like putting an anti-Mentifex statement in the "SIG" or "signature"
block below their Usenet posts. Or they would e-mail me and ask me
something, then go on anti-Mentifex vendettas for years. I discovered that
the film director who made Saving Private Ryan had suffered a similar fate
at the start of his career when he was just one of the guys at a movie
studio and his co-workers deeply resented both his efforts to rise above
them and his success in rising above them. Luckily for me, I actually
enjoyed writing the AI software and getting it to work better and better."

http://ai.neocities.org/mylife33.html -- My Life at Age Thirty-Three

http://ai.neocities.org/VisRecog.html -- Visual Recognition Module