On Fri, Jan 31, 2020, 3:24 PM <immortal.discover...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, January 31, 2020, at 2:04 PM, Matt Mahoney wrote:
>
> Compression is a highly experimental process. Most of the stuff I tried
> either didn't work or resulted in tiny improvements.
>
> Last I checked I did 1 thing and shaved off 76MB of the 100MB wiki8. Yes I
> studied it but whoever figured it out first got the big shave. The trick is
> not to code, but to philosophize. You need a plan. You need to think.
> There's another trick to shave more off I say. :-)

The trick is to study what others have done and come up with improvements
by writing code to test your ideas. We need less philosophy and more actual
data.

My very early version of a neural network compressor, P12, a precursor to
paq1 did that in 2000. I called it P12 because it was my 12th experiment
worthy of a version number. I was inspired by a 1996 neural compressor by
Schmidhuber and Heil that took several days to compress 10 KB of text. My
version ran at a practical speed and got better compression. You can read
about it here.  http://mattmahoney.net/dc/mmahoney00.pdf

Out of 200 compressors I tested, about 70 compress enwik8 to under 24 MB.
You can get about 25 MB with LZ77, 20 MB with BWT, 19 MB with PPM, and 15
MB with context mixing. Maybe you can come up with something better?