I'm pretty sure I will get the covid-19 vaccine if they come up with one. I
mean unless I have a positive antibody test and don't need one. I don't
know why 25% of Americans are already opposed in advance to a non-existent
vaccine. Wait until we have one and the studies on safety and effectiveness
are done. I'm betting that a shot hurts less than the disease.

Not that I'm overly concerned. I figure that 25-50% of the world population
will catch it eventually, and 0.4-0.7% of them will die. That's 10-15
million over the next couple of years. The fatality rate has the same age
and comorbidity distribution as deaths from all causes. Your risk of dying
from it if you get infected is the same as dying in the next 4-6 months if
you don't. Either risk doubles every 8-9 years of age.

The average fatality had a life expectancy of 12 years before infection.
The overall effect on life expectancy is 12 years x 0.25-0.5 x .004-.007 =
about a week. Global life expectancy is 73.2 years and increasing at the
rate of 0.2 years per year. The effect of the pandemic is to delay global
progress in human health by 5 weeks.

The economic and human costs from the lockdown are harder to estimate. Life
expectancy is strongly correlated with income. Progress in global health is
due mainly to the 2-3% increase in per capita GDP over the last couple of
centuries. A 25% cut to the economy would be a 10 year setback, cutting
life expectancy by 2 years if the effects were permanent. But some fraction
that is hard to forecast will recover quickly. Each year of education is
associated with 1.5 years of life expectancy. Closing schools now kills
people 50-60 years later.