On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 9:11 AM James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's even worse when you consider the fact that the empirical evidence for
> psi is overwhelming and there is a quasi-religious opposition to
> recognition of this fact in neuroscience let alone AGI theory.

I am a doubter of psi phenomena. I think there are coherence/synchrony
phenomena that merely appear to be 'psi'. However I am open to being
educated by actual empirical science that tests for it and I am OK with
being proved wrong.

Back to the paper.....
"In scientific behavior, empirical observation and theoretical science
face-off normally in the following three familiar science contexts:

(i)                 Observation of a natural context (*empirical science*).

(ii)              Observation of artificial versions of the natural
context. Call this engineered or replicated nature a
‘scientifically-artificial’ version of nature (*empirical science*).

(iii)            Creation of abstract models predictive of properties of
the natural context observable in (i) and (ii) (*theoretical science*)."

That (psi test) empirical neuroscience happens in (i) and in (ii), with
(iii) as a control (see the paper's supplementary 2). If you build the
inorganic artificial brain hardware (Xchip in the paper) with brain physics
in it, you do (ii). Two (ii) robots with Xchip brains, each in a faraday
cage, can be examined for anomalous coherence with each other and with a
(i) human and with a (iii) computer-brained-robot as a placebo/control.
That would be a psi test worth doing. You can't do it without (ii).

There are so many holes in both neuroscience and AI that are gaping
knowledge chasms caused by nothing more than the culturally-originated
anomalous 1950s configuration of the science (lacking (ii)). The lack of
this psi phenomena testing (as 'woo'/space-cadet as it is) .... is just the
tip of an iceberg of lost science that is kept alive by nothing more than
discipline separation (physics....neuroscience...computer science). The
only time computer science ever does actual empirical work is when it
builds a new computer (evidence: see supplementary 2).

Happy to go to my grave claiming psi is BS (while being open to being
wrong), but not happy to go while leaving science in this messed up state
that is literally right in front of everyone.

cheers,
colin