Again I can't speak for Colin, but I believe the basic idea is that
the electromagnetic fields are merely part of the theory, not the
theory in totality. He doesn't discount the neural substrate, no.
That's a crucial part of the theory. It's both the neural elements and
the associated (very strong) EM fields that are prominent in his
theory. I believe the "interface" of sorts is the role that the EM
field generated by the mind plays in influencing the neural activity.
I suppose you can simply discount the electric fields as mere noise
but that is a point of contention I think.