Colin reminds me of Searle. I think the claim that underlies all his arguments
is "cognition cannot be achieved by algorithms." Therefore, he regards any
algorithmic approach (including algorithms that model neuronal EM fields) as a
non-starter. In his mind, experiments that measure the achievements of any
algorithmic approach or brain simulation are still not "empirical," because any
algorithm (including algorithms that simulate the brain) is a theoretical model
of cognition rather than a potential achievement of cognition. An analogy that
I remember from either him or Searle or both is, "a simulation of a rainstorm
will not get your computer wet."

I don't agree with him, but watching all of you talk past each other is
frustrating me.