Why develop your own AGI when you can wait and eventually take it for free?

Have a look at what China is investing in heavily: communications technologies
and the space race, currency, natural resources, independent Internet/Web
technologies, 5th-gen weaponry, AI-enabled transport, supermassive production
(build, food, water, and now moving to regen power), and so on.

What does that tell us? Either nothing, or that China is preparing a specific
environment for it to be able to push suddenly and effectively into competitive
territories. China only play to win, not to share. I think that's what they
have in common with the USA and Russia.

Ben, for AGI, it must be that your direct, or indirect contribution to their
future capabilities speak for itself?

China's scaled activities resemble strategies of empire building, not
dissimilar to the Han and Ming dynasties.

In further support, more competitive indicators for my argument:

China produces 1 million engineers per annum (they dominate the high-end labor
force). China have 2 million free, skilled to highly-skilled laborers in prison
(lowest-cost labor), China's GDP is growing while the rest of the world are
mostly stagnating (more liquidity). China have acquired masses of land in many
continents and are actively colonizing those areas with loyalists and officials
(space of influence where to establish colonies). Chinese children make up an
estimated 90%+ of all online English tutoring (preparing to be in the West).
China won the national health service contract for the AU, the whole African
continent - together with France (securing medical influence of the largest
continent - the breadbasket of the world).

Furthermore, China have numerous young-adult citizens working as professional
and students on key projects in the West, and co publishing. China have many,
exact replicas of Western towns/city areas, assimilating choice citizens.
China's on a mission to be the first in the world, to build the biggest, to be
the smartest. I think they are succeeding.

What does that tell you then? Is China going to compete, or are they already in
advanced phases of globalization? Are these symbols of a nation unsure of its
capabilities, bedding itself down to wait things out, or of a nation on the
march?

Ask Taiwan, Australia, Japan, America and Europe then, consider the South and
East China Sea confrontations, growing incidents of war, and these might agree
with China's most-aggressive advancing tactics. China now, seems ready to
advance, while the West are reeling.

To imagine and suggest that China are not going to effectively compete in the
AGI space is implausible. They are already, and I think they are just doing it
very smartly, most unobtrusively, and in a highly-militarized fashion.

China are collaborating with many 3rd-party countries on emerging technologies,
smart countries, by all accounts. They have obtained deals for new-gen nuclear
plants in many countries, Namibia being the latest.

Over the past, 5 years, there's been a trove of white papers and hi-tech
patents blossoming from China. I was looking for some of these products, but
they are not on the market yet.

I predict we would soon see a massive unveiling of Chinese-owned general AI
technologies, as well as hordes of narrow AI applications. One thing is for
sure; where the West misses a step, China almost certainly steps in.

Are Chinese persons more intelligent than their competitors, than non-Chinese?
It's still too early to tell.

Can the CCP be studied as a model for AGI? Given the hi-tech impetus obtained
from the covid-pandemic, to my mind they are appearing to be rapidly moving
towards becoming the first nation with a citified singularity. Certainly, we
have much to learn from the Chinese.