On 4/16/21, Ben Goertzel <b...@goertzel.org> wrote:
> Well that stuff is not even AGI-ish, it seems some quasi-scam
> conference-organizers are using "AGI" as a buzzword to pull in naive
> academics from third-rate universities, largely in the developing
> world.   I guess this indicates some sort of sociological advancement
> for the term "AGI"? ;p

There's something weird going on in Asian academia where researchers
tend to “ignore” certain cutting-edge developments in the West and they
have their own, tacitly agreed-upon, agenda as to what kind of research
is "appropriate".  If anyone disturbs that consensus the others would rise
up and attack him....

In China, PhD students are very subservient to their (older) supervisors,
to the point they don't dare to try any new research directions unless
those topics have become commonplace among their peers.

The older people control educational resources and they don't allow the
status quo to change. 😟  It really is a very boring place....

YKY