"Natural Intelligence Winter" is the wrong descriptive term for the advent
of a technology that sucks all the oxygen out of the room and diverts
natural intelligence away from a technical area that had a "summer".  Take,
for example, the phrase "neural winter" aka "neural network winter":

The most recent "neural network winter" came about after the "second neural
network summer" was terminated by support vector machines sucking all the
oxygen out of the room in the 1990s, and was revived only when Moore's Law
conspired with first person shooter games to produce matrix multiply
hardware in the form of GPUs so that Hinton et al could initiate the "third
neural network summer" that "let a thousand flowers bloom" (really, just
pick up where NNs were circa 1990, if not repeat the work of the late 1980s
as Schmidhuber often rightly points out much to the embarrassment of the
field).

Minsky and Papert initiated the "first neural network winter" with their
addendum in the book "Perceptrons" that initiated a "symbolist summer"
until Charles Sinclaire Smith -- who had been struggling to model the
macroeconomic dynamics of the energy economy for the DoE as he
cofounded its Energy Information Agency -- got his hands on the Systems
Development Foundation's endowment and financed the "second neural network
summer".

The LLMs are just the new Support Vector Machines, sucking all the oxygen
out of the room.

For a related view on this problem read Sara Hooker's paper:

The Hardware Lottery <https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.06489>