----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Goertzel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 6:38 PM
Subject: RE: [agi] Q: Who coined "AGI"?

> I guess most AI researchers consider AI to be inclusive of AGI and ASI.
> That's Ok with me ... ASI is interesting too, though quite different, and
> currently overemphasized...

I'd rather use more concrete (and more informative) terms for the "ASIs",
such as search, reason, vision, planning, pattern recognition, and so on ---
if there is no common factor identified among them, to call them "AI"
collectively doesn't add much information.  Actually this is what has
happened in the history of AI, that is, whenever a subfield becomes mature
enough, most people stop using the label "AI" in it.  It will continue to be
the case until a "general factor" is identified.  It is only at that time
then AI can be claimed to be a branch of science for its own sake, not a
fancy label to be attached to a group of things that have little in common,
except being "that which AI researchers do."

Pei