Well, I agree that the current field of AI is way too broadly defined.  It's
a heck of a grab-bag.

But I think there is more meaning to "AI in general" than "A little AGI plus
a lot of computer science" or "What AI researchers do."

I'd break up the AI field into 4 categories as follows:

1) AGI
2) Domain-specialized learning software.  These are software programs that
carry out learning or goal-oriented self-organization in some particular
domain
3) Emulations of human intelligent behavior.  These are software programs
that emulate activities that for humans involve significant learning or
complex cognition; but the programs themselves don't do any learning,
they're just ordinary, rigidly-behaving computer programs
4) Emulations of human perception and action in the absence of cognition, or
software carrying out perception or action in the absence of cognition --
e.g. computer vision, robotics, etc.

"Narrow AI" consists of categories 2 and 3, which are quite different
animals, however.

Note that a program gets into categories 1 or 2 because its internal
activities are viewed as intelligent.  A program gets in category 3 because
its external behavior is viewed as intelligent.

In category 2 I'd put: a program that learns how to drive a car, or a
program that predicts the stock market by building adaptive models....
These programs have some intelligence but it's very narrowly focused.  There
are indeed a lot of commonalities among various narrow AI programs in this
category.  There is a real science of narrowly-specialized learning; it's
not all domain-dependent tricks.  Statistical learning theory is part of
this science, but not all of it.

On the other hand, programs in category 3 don't have many commonalities
amongst each other.  The problem is that there really are few commonalities
among different programs that do things that, for humans, require
intelligence.  It seems very arbitrary which programs in category 3 are
categorized as AI and which are not.  Why is a calculator not AI?  It
carries out activities that require a lot of intelligence in humans?  Why
are computer algebra systems like Maple less "AI-ish" than GraphPlan, which
is arguably less sophisticated, less "intelligent"...?

Category 3 is where AI basically merges freely into "advanced algorithmics."

Category 4, on the other hand, really doesn't have that much to do with
"intelligence."  It's advanced algorithmics, modeling or emulating
interesting biological behaviors.  To the extent that these biological
behaviors relate to cognition, it may be related to AI; but so are a lot of
other things related to AI...

I think there's a decent argument for the existence of an AI discipline
inclusive of my categories 1 and 2: AGI plus domain-specialized learning
software.  On the other hand, throwing in bits and pieces of 3 and 4 makes
things very loosely-defined: one could really throw in about half of the
computer science curriculum, and which items in 3 and 4 are considered AI
versus non-AI is basically a matter of historical accident...

-- Ben G