I've just joined this list, it's my first post.  Greetings all.

1.5 line summary of me: AI enthusiast since 10 yrs old, CS undergrad degree, 3 mo.'s
from finishing psych/neuroscience PHD.

Mike, you are correct that an AI must be matched to its enviornment.  It's likely that
a sentience optimized to function in an alien environment would behave in a way that
appeared initially as random noise to a human observer.

However when you say this:

> nd understandable.  There is ONE general organizational structure that opti=
> mizes this AGI for our environment.  All deviations from the one design onl=
> y serve to make the AGI function less effectively.  Any significant departu=

I could not disagree more.  There are an infinite number of ways an AI could be
designed within a given social/cultural context.  The nature of the designs would
allow them to provide different solutions, some of which are more or less  effective
in any particular situation.

Evolution figured this out(forgive my anthropomorphizing), and this is why our minds
contain many different forms of intelligence.  They all attack any problem in a
parallel fashion, share their results, and come to a sort of consensus.

> res cease to function in any way we would consider intelligent.  The SAI of=
>  the future will be vastly more intelligent, powerful, and amazing.  It wil=
> l not be incomprehensible.  It will be a lot like us.

It might be incomprehensible if it's too much like us.  One of the dangers of creating
an AI to study brain function is that the result might be even more inscrutable than
our brain.

-Brad Wyble

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]