Ben,

> As Moshe pointed out to me, Marcus Hutter and his students tried to
> replicate Baum's work, with mixed results:
>
> go to
>
> http://www.idsia.ch/~marcus/
>
> click on "Artificial Intelligence" and scroll down to
>
> Market-Based Reinforcement Learning in Partially Observable Worlds (with I.
> Kwee & J. Schmidhuber)
> Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Artificial Neural
> Networks (ICANN-2001) 865-873

Thanks.

> > Despite the wonderful work of Eric Baum and others,
> > developing really robust reinforcement learning is a
> > really hard challenge. Which is why my estimate for
> > the arrival of SI is 2100 rather than 2010 or 2020.
> > I hope I'm wrong, because I want to meet a SI.
>
> Bill, I think that *thinking about* the AGI problem as a problem of
> "developing really robust reinforcement learning" is CORRECT but
> UNPRODUCTIVE.  I think that if you think about the problem as one of
> creating an integrated mind-system, and build the integrated mind-system,
> you will find that the robust reinforcement learning comes along due to
> coordinated emergent behaviors of various components.

In my book I say that consciousness is part of the way
the brain implements reinforcement learning, and I think
something like that is necessary for a really robust
solution. That's why I think it will take 100 years.

I try to give short answers, which sometimes gives the
mistaken impression that I think things are simple.

> So ultimately, I don't think that ultra-clever pure-reinforcement-learning
> schemes like Baum's are the road to AGI, although they may play a role.
>
> It wouldn't be the first time in the history of science that a problem
> looked close-to-impossible from one perspective, but became manageable via a
> perspective-shift.

I hope that when I say something will take 100 years,
that indicates that I think it is not straightforward
and will require a number of major conceptual leaps.

Bill

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]