Hi Philip,

I am aware of the problem you raise about the happiness of
animals, but don't have a clear answer. My preference is
that human happiness will depend on animal happiness,
especially as the productivity of super-intelligent machines
gives humans more wealth and education. Explicitly writing
anmal happiness into values will be hard, given that there
is no unanimous view among humans. Some treat animals as
humans, some don't want cruelty but do eat meat, and some
don't care a bit. There's a much greater concensus about the
value of universal human happiness.

But like I say, I don't feel all that strongly one way or
the other about including animal happiness.

Cheers,
Bill

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]