Hi Shane,

> In AI we often can't even agree on this.  Thus I see AGAGIs prprimarilya design
> problem
> rather than an implementation one.  In Linux there is
> a huge amount of boring implementation that needs to be done to get
> all the drivers for hundreds of kinds of graphics hards and hard disk
> controls etc. all coded and working.  This is a very different problem.

Good point. The initial system will lock in some design
assumptions, and people who join the project must buy into
those decisions. But a good design can put a lot of decisions
into modules that can be changed. I seem to recall Ben
talking about major changes in Novamente modules.

In my last visualization system, a major design goal was to
put as many design decisions as possible in classes where
they could be over-ridden. But you are right that some
things are locked in, so enthusiastic developers are
limited to those folks who like those locked-in decisions.

Cheers,
Bill