The problem is only half fulfilled with the enourmous size of the corpus.  A huge corpus will only give you plain predictive ability, reasoning and other abilities are not greatly approved.

So a simple interaction.
Person: My name is Bosefus
AI: ok
Person: What is my name?
AI: dunno

Now it is true that looking over the corpus we can start looking for conversations where "My name is *" is matched, and answer the question that way,
BUT, that seems to be quite a bit more processesing over the corpus, and a lot less, just compressing it down.

One thing the compression task may be able to give AGI and AI that is useful, is a large set of useful pattern rules, that can be further refined in reasoning modules.

James

Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't think it's anywhere near that much. I read at about 2 KB
> per minute, and I listen to speech (if written down as plain text)
> at a roughly similar speed. If you then work it out, buy the time
> I was 20 I'd read/heard not more than 2 or 3 GB of raw text.
> If you could compress/predict everything that I'd read or heard
> until I was 20 years old *amazingly well*, then I'm sure you'd
> be able to use this predictive model to easily pass a Turing test.
>
> Indeed it's trivially true: Just have me sit a Turing test when I
> was 19. Naturally I would have passed it, and thus so would
> the compressor/predictor (assuming that it's amazingly good,
> or at least as good at predicting my responses as I would be).
>
> Shane

But Shane, your 19 year old self had a much larger and more diverse
volume of data to go on than just the text or speech that you
ingested...

And, of course, your ability to predict your next verbal response is
NOT a good indicator of your ability to adaptively deal with new
situations...

I don't buy your "trivial proof" at all...

I do not assume that an outstanding compressor of your verbal inputs
and outputs would necessarily be a great predictor of your future
verbal inputs and outputs -- because there is much more to you than
verbalizations. It might make bad errors in predicting your responses
in situations different from ones you had previously experienced... or
in situations similar to situations you had previously experienced but
that did not heavily involve verbiage...

-- Ben

Thank You
James Ratcliff
http://falazar.com