On 28/08/06, Russell Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 8/28/06, William Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Things like hooking it up to low quality sound video feeds and have it
> judge by posture/expression/time of day what the most useful piece of
> information in the RSS feeds/email etc to provide to the user is. We
> would have to program a large amounts of the behaviour to start with,
> but also by the dynamics and mechanism we create it would get more of
> an information about what the individual user wanted.

 Hmm... okay... it's not obvious to me that would be useful, but maybe it
would. The nice thing about being a pessimist, one's surprises are more
likely to be pleasant ones. Surprise me ^.^

Possibly I am not explaining things clearly enough. One of my
motivations for developing AI, apart from the challenge, is to enable
me to get the information I need, when I need it.

As a lot of the "power" I have in this world is through what I buy, I
need to have this information available when I might buy something,
which may be when I am in social situations etc. I can be a lot better
ethical consumer with the the details I need at the right time given
to me. As such I am interested in wearable and ubiquitous computing.
Due to the constraints wearable computer place upon the designer, you
really want the correct information given to you and nothing else that
may distract the user unnecessarily.

Knowing what the correct information is will entail knowing about the
user and the uses current environment. Whether they rate energy
efficiency or CO2 emissions as a priority, for example. It will also
entail the google like system you are focused upon.

I also think that a system designed to understand our body
language/gestures/moods will also be able to be more easily and
naturally trained as it has more information coming in about what we
want and we will not have to be so explicit in our instructions.

I'm also a pessimist in that I don't think an era of light will entail
just because AI is invented, but I hope it will allow the few people
that care to close the information gap that exists between producers
and consumers. Or the government and the populace for that matter. And
provide an economy marginally closer to what is promised by free
market theory.

You have hinted at the normative value of AI, I'm curious what you
find it to be? Is it simply to speed up technological development so
that we can escape the gravity well?

 Will

 Will