I dont believe that was the goal or lesson of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHRDLU project.

It was mainly centered aroudn a small test environment (the block world)
and being able to create an interface that would allow the user to speak and be answered in a natural language.
And in that goal it seemed to succeed fairly admirably.

When we look at throwing the rest of the world into the simulation, we of course get problems, but that is understandable I believe.

But this is a Type of goal that we would like to have (I think) is the ability in a much larger dynamic world environment to be able to talk and interact with the AI and have it understand you and be able to answer you.

And as far as knowledge engineering (aka Cyc and others)  it DOES work.  The problem is just the size and complexity.
I just finished a class here on Knowledge Engineering, and they worked on a project that allows you to do that and works very well on limited domains.
One of the main drawbacks to the KE is the massive work-hours involved to get a decent knowledge base. and the limited scope of any of them.

But the blocks world did show some sophisticated behavior for what it was:
Person: PICK UP A BIG RED BLOCK.
Computer: OK.
Person: GRASP THE PYRAMID.
Computer: I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHICH PYRAMID YOU MEAN.
Person (changing their mind): FIND A BLOCK WHICH IS TALLER THAN THE ONE YOU ARE HOLDING AND PUT IT INTO THE BOX.
Computer: BY "IT", I ASSUME YOU MEAN THE BLOCK WHICH IS TALLER THAN THE ONE I AM HOLDING.
Computer: OK.
Person: WHAT DOES THE BOX CONTAIN?
Computer: THE BLUE PYRAMID AND THE BLUE BLOCK.
Person: WHAT IS THE PYRAMID SUPPORTED BY?
Computer: THE BOX.
Person: HOW MANY BLOCKS ARE NOT IN THE BOX?
Computer: FOUR OF THEM.
Person: IS AT LEAST ONE OF THEM NARROWER THAN THE ONE WHICH I TOLD YOU TO PICK UP?
Computer: YES, THE RED CUBE.

including reason and memory and ambiguity.

James Ratcliff

Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Another important lesson from SHRDLU, aside from discovering that the approach of hand coding knowledge doesn't work, was how long it took to discover this. It was not at all obvious from the initial success. Cycorp still hasn't figured it out after over 20 years.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]