Here are some of my attempts at explaining RSI...

(1)
As a given instance of intelligence, as defined as an algorithm of an agent
capable of achieving complex goals in complex environments, approaches the
theoretical limits of efficiency for this class of algorithms, intelligence
approaches infinity. Since increasing computational resources available for
an algorithm is a complex goal in a complex environment, the more
intelligent an instance of intelligence becomes, the more capable it is in
increasing the computational resources for the algorithm, as well as more
capable in optimizing the algorithm for maximum efficiency, thus increasing
its intelligence in a positive feedback loop.

(2)
Suppose an instance of a mind has direct access to some means of both
improving and expanding both the hardware and software capability of its
particular implementation. Suppose also that the goal system of this mind
elicits a strong goal that directs its behavior to aggressively take
advantage of these means. Given each increase in capability of the mind's
implementation, it could (1) increase the speed at which its hardware is
upgraded and expanded, (2) More quickly, cleverly, and elegantly optimize
its existing software base to maximize capability, (3) Develop better
cognitive tools and functions more quickly and in more quantity, and (4)
Optimize its implementation on successively lower levels by researching and
developing better, smaller, more advanced hardware. This would create a
positive feedback loop- the more capable its implementation, the more
capable it is in improving its implementation.

How fast could RSI plausibly happen? Is RSI inevitable / how soon will it
be? How do we truly maximize the benefit to humanity?

It is my opinion that this could happen extremely quickly once a completely
functional AGI is achieved. I think its plausible it could happen against
the will of the designers (and go on to pose an existential risk), and quite
likely that it would move along quite well with the designers intention,
however, this opens up the door to existential disasters in the form of
so-called Failures of Friendliness. I think its fairly implausible the
designers would suppress this process, except those that are concerned about
completely working out issues of Friendliness in the AGI design.