If you look into the literature of the past 20 years, you will easily
find several thousand examples.

I'm sorry but either you didn't understand my point or you don't know what you are talking about (and the constant terseness of your replies gives me absolutely no traction on assisting you). If you would provide just one example and state why you believe it refutes my point, then you'll give me something to answer -- as it is, you're making a meaningless assertion of no value that I can't even begin to respond to (not to mention the point that contending/assuming that I've overlooked several thousand examples is pretty insulting).

----- Original Message ----- From: "Philip Goetz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [agi] A question on the symbol-system hypothesis

On 11/29/06, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I defy you to show me *any* black-box method that has predictive power
outside the bounds of it's training set. All that the black-box methods are
doing is curve-fitting.  If you give them enough variables they can brute
force solutions through what is effectively case-based/nearest-neighbor
reasoning but that is *not* intelligence.  You and they can't build upon
that.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303