There is a needed distinctintion that must be made here about hunger as a goal
stack motivator.

We CANNOT change the hunger sensation, (short of physical manipuations, or
mind-control "stuff") as it is a given sensation that comes directly from the
physical body.

What we can change is the placement in the goal stack, or the priority position
it is given.  We CAN choose to put it on the bottom of our list of goals, or
remove it from teh list and try and starve ourselves to death.
  Our body will then continuosly send the hunger signals to us, and we must
decide what how to handle that signal.

So in general, the Signal is there, but the goal is not, it is under our
control.

James Ratcliff

Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
--- Mark Waser  wrote:

> > You cannot turn off hunger or pain.  You cannot
> > control your emotions.
>
> Huh?  Matt, can you really not ignore hunger or pain?  Are you really 100%
> at the mercy of your emotions?

Why must you argue with everything I say?  Is this not a sensible statement?

> > Since the synaptic weights cannot be altered by
> > training (classical or operant conditioning)
>
> Who says that synaptic weights cannot be altered?  And there's endless
> irrefutable evidence that the sum of synaptic weights is certainly
> constantly altering by the directed die-off of neurons.

But not by training.  You don't decide to be hungry or not, because animals
that could do so were removed from the gene pool.

Is this not a sensible way to program the top level goals for an AGI?

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303

James Ratcliff - http://falazar.com
New Torrent Site, Has TV and Movie Downloads!
http://www.falazar.com/projects/Torrents/tvtorrents_show.php