Consider as a possible working definition:
A goal is the target state of a homeostatic system. (Don't take homeostatic too literally, though.)

Thus, if one sets a thermostat to 70 degrees Fahrenheit, then it's goal is to change to room temperature to be not less than 67 degrees Fahrenheit. (I'm assuming that the thermostat allows a 6 degree heat swing, heats until it senses 73 degrees, then turns off the heater until the temperature drops below 67 degrees.)

Thus, the goal is the target at which a system (or subsystem) is aimed.

Note that with this definition goals do not imply intelligence of more than the most very basic level. (The thermostat senses it's environment and reacts to adjust it to suit it's goals, but it has no knowledge of what it is doing or why, or even THAT it is doing it.) One could reasonably assert that the intelligence of the thermostat is, or at least has been, embodied outside the thermostat. I'm not certain that this is useful, but it's reasonable, and if you need to tie goals into intelligence, then adopt that model.

James Ratcliff wrote:
Can we go back to a simpler distictintion then, what are you defining "Goal" as?

I see the goal term, as a higher level reasoning 'tool'
Wherin the body is constantly sending signals to our minds, but the goals are all created consciously or semi-conscisly.

Are you saying we should partition the "Top-Level" goals into some form of physical body - imposed goals and other types, or do you think we should leave it up to a single Constroller to interpret the signals coming from teh body and form the goals.

In humans it looks to be the one way, but with AGI's it appears it would/could be another.

James

*/Charles D Hixson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:

    J...
    Goals are important. Some are built-in, some are changeable. Habits
    are also important, perhaps nearly as much so. Habits are initially
    created to satisfy goals, but when goals change, or circumstances
    alter,
    the habits don't automatically change in synchrony.

    http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303