Is there anyone out there who has a sense that most of the work being done in
AI is still following the same track that has failed for fifty years now?  The
focus on logic as thought, or neural nets as the bottom-up, brain-imitating
solution just isn't getting anywhere?  It's the same thing, and it's never
getting anywhere.

The missing component is thought.  What is thought, and how do human beings
think?  There is no reason that thought cannot be implemented in a sufficiently
powerful computing machine -- the problem is how to implement it.

Logical deduction or inference is not thought.  It is mechanical symbol
manipulation that can can be programmed into any scientific pocket calculator.

Human intelligence is based on animal intelligence.  We can perform logical
calculations because we can see the symbols and their relations and move the
symbols around in our minds to produce the results, but the intelligence is not
the symbol manipulation, but our ability to see the relationships spatialy and
decide if the pieces fit correctly throught the process.

The world is continuous, spatiotemporal, and non-descrete, and simply is not
describable in logical terms.  A true AI system has to model the world in the
same way -- spatiotemporal sensorimotor maps.  Animal intelligence.

This is short, and doesn't express my ideas in much detail.  But I've been
working alone for a long time now, and I think I have to find some people to
talk to.  I have an AGI project I've been developing, but I can't do it all by
myself.  If anyone has questions about what alternative ideas I have to the
logical paradigm, I can clarify much further, as far as I can.  I would just
like to maybe make some connections and find some people who aren't stuck in
the computational, symbolic mode.

Ask some questions, and I'll tell you what I think.