On Monday 23 April 2007 15:40, Lukasz Stafiniak wrote:
> ... An AGI working with bigger numbers had better discovered binary
> numbers. Could an AGI do it? Could it discover rational numbers? (It
> would initially believe that irrational numbers do not exist, as early
> Pythagoreans have believed.) After having discovered the basic
> grounding, it could be taught the more advanced things.

How many people on this list have discovered anything as fundamental as binary
numbers, I wonder? We take a lot of stuff for granted but we *learned* almost
all of it, we didn't discover it. There's a lot of hubris in the notion that
we, working from a technology base that can't build an AI with the common
sense of a 5-year-old, will turn around and build a system that will
duplicate 3000 years of the accumulated efforts of humanitiy's greatest
geniuses in a year or two.

Josh