On 5/1/07, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Define the type of problems it addresses which might be [for all I know]

*understanding and precis-ing a set of newspaper stories about politics or
sewage
*solving a crime of murder - starting with limited evidence
*designing new types of buildings - starting from a limited knowledge of
other types of buildings
*navigate an agent through a domestic/ office environment with furniture
strewn everywhere, animals and people milling around - & limited rules for
navigation...
*learn to identify every plant and tree in a complex jungle scene - starting
with limited knowledge and access to public databases

Ideally I'd like to see in there, how having learned to solve one class of
problems, it is going to solve new related classes of problems - to get an
EDUCATION in various spheres ... (as distinct say from just learning in one
sphere) -

If one of the above problem is solved by an AGI system, it should be
the result of learning of the system, rather than an innate capability
built into the system. Furthermore, I don't think any of them is a
necessary capability of an AGI system. If we are taking about
possibility, I believe NARS has the potential for each of them, though
the system isn't at that stage yet. I don't see why it is impossible,
though I cannot show you that it has been done.

so the navigational agent would have to be able, having mastered a domestic
environment, to learn to navigate a jungle or forest environment.

I want to see some PROBLEM (& education)  EXAMPLES. That's all, really.
(You say that your system is attending to all these different problems more
or less simultaneously, or interweavingly, but you don't say what the
problems are).

Me, the general public, (& AGI people I suspect), have v. little idea of
what AGI can actually do or is even trying to do right now

I'm sorry if I make you disappointed --- I don't think any AGI has
reached the stage of practical application. I don't want the general
public to think that the AGI problem has been solved. Instead, I want
they to think that AGI is an important and interesting research that
should be supported, or at least tolerated.

P.S. There are two sides to talking about knowledge/ intelligence/ problems
etc.   There is the side of the subject - the thinker, the brain
manipulating ideas, the user of different techniques, logical, mathematical
etc. bits, bytes etc  And there is the side of the object(s) of knowledge -
the crimes being solved, the buildings being constructed, the genes and
society being learned about.. - what all that knowledge and those problems
are about.

There is the subjective side of the mirror reflecting and there is the
objective side of the scene being reflected.

You guys tend to be massively leaning over in describing everything in terms
of the subjective side.  But it's only when you describe intelligence &
problemsolving in terms of what you're trying to know/ solve problems about
that things start to make sense.

To me, this is a major reason that why we don't have a thinking
machine yet --- people (both the general public and the mainstream AI
researchers) believe that general intelligence can be reached by
solving domain problems one after another. I won't try to convince
you, but to point out that this belief is probably not as self-evident
as many people assume. Before a good theory is established about AI,
there won't be any good application.

Pei