Roughly -

AGI *research* is about developing, testing and exploring theories and
approaches.

AGI *development* is about building practical systems. This requires having
a workable theory/ approach (or an awful lot of luck!).

Both benefit from having well defined plans/ goals, however a development
project will almost certainly fail totally without clear *practical* goals/
milestones.

Pei does research (great stuff, I might add). I personally think it a pity
that his approach is not part of any development project.

My company, a2i2, spent many years in a research phase. Two years ago we
transitioned into a development company. We obviously still do research, but
it is now targeted at specific sub-problems, our overall AGI theory is in
place.

Lastly, in theory you could come up with a complete AGI design that was
quite agnostic about specific applications; plug in senses and actuators and
train the system (and/ or let in learn from its environment). Practically,
such an open-ended approach will suffer far too many inefficiencies, and is
unnecessarily hard. You really want the crucial feedback of practical
performance (or non-performance, as the case may be) to help guide any R&D.

Peter Voss