HOW TO CREATE THE BUZZ THAT BRINGS THE BUCKS

Wow, there it is. That just about says it all. Take the content of that
concise evaluation and go on the road. That is what AGI needs. For general
PR purposes it doesn't have to be much more detailed than that. Talk shows
and news articles are unlikely to cover even that much. I have done national
media and this is the kind of story they would love. Some additional hooks,
events and visuals would also be effective.

>> And now for the buzz fuster...

AGI Will Be The Most Powerful Technology In Human History - In Fact, So
Powerful that it Threatens Us <<

Admittedly there are many possible dangers with future AGI technology. We
can think of a million horror stories and in all probability some of the
problems that will crop up are things we didn't anticipate. At this point it
is pure conjecture. All new technologies have dangers, just like life in
general. We can't know the kinds of personal problems and danger we will
face in our future. We can be careful not to take unnecessary risks, but in
the end you have to follow the road ahead. We well be better informed and
better adept at dealing with the inevitable problems the future holds as
they arise. We must have a certain amount of faith in our ability meet the
challenges of the future or we will stagnate in the past cowering in fear.
AGI has the potential of being hugely beneficial to humanity. Should we
outlaw its development just because it could possibly be used
inappropriately? Fear has never stop technological development before and it
is unlikely to stop it this time.

What needs to be emphasized is the many ways AGI can be limited and
controlled. First of all most infrastructure technology can be controlled by
regular AI. In other words, an effective firewall between the more powerful
AGI systems and human infrastructure could possibly be created. There are
many other possible strategies for controlling any dangers represented by
AGI in the future. In fact AGI itself can help us to develop them. In any
case this is a technology that is too important to outlaw or just pass up.

These are important questions and unless the AGI I community gets out in
front of the issue we will be at the mercy of the media and the opposition
to set the framework of the debate and to create the public stereotype of
AGI. The one who gets there first has a tremendous advantage in establishing
the public image.

THIS IS THE PUBLIC IMAGE THEY ARE TRYING TO PAINT OF YOU NOW

>Some critics have mocked singularists for their obsession with
"techno-salvation" and >"techno-holocaust" - or what some wags have called
the coming "nerdocalypse." Their >predictions are grounded as much in
science fiction as science, the detractors claim, and <may never come to
pass. - Associated Press

IT'S BOUND TO GET WORSE.

I know I keep posting this AP quote, but it proves the need better than
anything that you guys better wake up and take some action.

Don Detrich